WGC FC logo

Welwyn Garden City FC

Home of the "Citizens" - Established 1921

The BP Mitchell Stadium, Herns Lane, Welwyn Garden City, Herts, AL7 1TA

Evo-stik logo

NUMBER One at Christmas. That was WGC's wish and it was granted, courtesy of this expected routine win at Amersham - the Citizens have scored 11 past the Bucks opposition this season with none in reply - and near neighbours and previous leaders Hatfield's heavy demise at Baldock.


So Adam Fisher's side go into next Saturday's much anticipated big derby at Herns Lane, a point ahead of their rivals and neighbours, having caught up on fixtures.


Their win at Amersham saw them put behind them the fact that they had lost two consecutive games for the first time this season, with their cup defeat at Baldock seven days earlier and the derby midweek home loss to Codicote.


But WGC began very shakily at Amersham and were on the back foot in the opening 15 minutes against the second-bottom home team.


Yasin Boodhoo, restored to defence in place of the unavailable Jack Dekanski, miskicked in four minutes to let Amersham's Furneaux-Harris bring a save out of Joe Croft and Croft had to exert himself further with a fine tip-away save when Boodhoo's misplaced header saw home striker/skipper Ryan Welsh hit a 20 yard effort goalward on 15 minutes.


WGC needed a goal to settle them and it came two minutes later with a fine move begun by 16-year-old Reggie Ross, who found Craig Arnott who, in turn, set up Joel Norris for an expertly chipped finish beyond home keeper Butcher.


Two minutes later they doubled their advantage, Juan Cifuentes' through ball was neatly headed through by Jason Caswell and Norris ran clear to slip his second wide of an exposed Butcher.


Now the Citizens were firmly in control and only some excellent stops from the impressive Butcher to deny Norris a hat-trick goal and tip away a Craig Arnott close-in finish, kept Amersham in the contest.


Six minutes from the break, WGC did add a third, Sam Perrin's long cross to the back post was retrieved by Daryl Smith who lofted in a neat cross that saw


Arnott rise well and plant a header back into the far corner for a rare headed goal for number three.


The second-half was a tale of total WGC dominance. They created countless chances to have doubled their lead, but scorned them all.


The two clearest openings fell to young Ross in front of goal, but on both occasions the 16-year-old lacked composure and struck them wide. Arnott should have also done better than strike a Norris header into his path, into the side netting.


This prolifigacy continued until manager Fisher introduced Marc Arnott for an out-of-touch Caswell and in the closing quarter, the substitute gave his teammates a lesson in finishing.


His brother volleyed another chance over, created by Marc Arnott's industry down the right and then four minutes from time, Norris also made good progress down the flank, crossed hard and low and Marc Arnott turned it in from close range for 4-0.


On the stroke of time, a hefty challenge from fellow substitute Carl Costain turned into a fine through ball for Marc Arnott, who took it on and showed fine composure in front of goal, to roll in his second goal in five minutes and complete the scoring.


WGC: Croft, Perrin (Costain 83), Kenna, Boodhoo, Brettell, Cifuentes (Stellon 67), Smith, Arnott (C), Ross, Caswell (Arnott M 76), Norris.

Amersham Town 0 - 5 Welwyn Garden City FC

PLGS Advert for Adsense