WGC FC logo

Welwyn Garden City FC

Home of the "Citizens" - Established 1921

The BP Mitchell Stadium, Herns Lane, Welwyn Garden City, Herts, AL7 1TA

Evo-stik logo

THE biggest attendance since the season’s opening day packed the BP Mitchell Stadium to support Dean Barker’s new-look WGC side and cheer them to another hard won point.


Over 150 came to see a Citizens side - average age just 20 - ride their luck a little in the second-half, when the visiting Ducks missed a penalty and hit WGC’s woodwork on another occasion, as Barker’s youthful outfit battled to another brave draw, as they had done in midweek against Sutton Coldfield.


On 65 minutes, WGC came within an ace of breaking the deadlock themselves, with a beautifully lofted effort from 25 yards from striker Jason Edwards, that flew over Aylesbury keeper Davis, only to crash against the crossbar and bounce out.


A minute later, Aylesbury’s Greg Williams split the WGC defence to find forward Tre Mitford. As he held up the ball, the returned Taishan Griffith committed himself to a tackle that referee Parsons adjudged a foul and awarded a spot-kick.


Ollie Hogg took the responsibility for the Ducks, but crashed a fearsome effort past WGC keeper Lewis Todd but onto the post and that, too, rebounded to safety, for the home side.


Todd was extended twice more, late in the game, pulling off two fine full length saves to keep out Mitford efforts and preserve WGC’s precious point.


It wasn’t a game that will last long in the memory, other than for the Citizens’s fighting spirit and great energy from their young side.


Popular new boss Barker brought in four fresh faces from Tuesday night’s draw, with a trio of work experience loans in Barnet pair, 17-year-old striker Oken Chime and central defender Ivan Agyaawah, 18 and MK Dons under 18 captain Charlie Pattison.


New signing Isaac Ebelebe, from Wingate & Finchley, also made his debut, while fellow new faces, Josh Williams and George Batney, were on the bench.


Griffith playing at full-back in this game, got forward impressively and was unlucky to see an effort deflect straight into Aylesbury keeper Archie Davis’ hands in the opening 10 minutes.


At the other end, Jay Rolfe – WGC’s player of the month for December – got in a telling tackle on the visitors’ Max Hercules, who had scored twice against the Citizens, when they met in October.


Harry Jones was proving a thorn in the home team’s side and he struck the home bar with a rising effort on the half-hour, only to be foiled by an offside flag.


WGC’s new skipper Dave Keenleyside was constantly looking to prise the Aylesbury defence open with his thoughtful passing and one excellent ball threatened to put Edwards in, but keeper Davis raced off his line to kick clear off the forward’s toes.


Just before the hour, Keenleyside produced a peach of a pass to put young winger Romelle Alomenu through. He outpaced Ducks’ full-back Bewley and crossed over the face of goal, inches away from teenage striker Chime’s outstretched leg.


That was the closest either side came until Edwards’ effort off the bar and the Ducks’ missed penalty and although the Citizens’ were under


some sustained pressure late in the game, their renewed spirit earned the vital point and another ovation at the final whistle.


WGC: Lewis Todd, Taishan Griffith, Ivan Agyaawah, Jon Sexton, Isaac Ebelebe, Dave Keenleyside, Charlie Pattison, Romelle Alomenu (Harry Ardic 82 mins), Jordan Edwards (Josh Williams 75 mins), Okem Chime (Brodie Carrington 72 mins).

Welwyn Garden City FC 0-0 Aylesbury United