WGC FC logo

Welwyn Garden City FC

Home of the "Citizens" - Established 1921

The BP Mitchell Stadium, Herns Lane, Welwyn Garden City, Herts, AL7 1TA

THIS was the latest in a run of very forgettable fixtures Welwyn GC have played recently – in a run that has seen them pick up just two points out of a possible 18.


In truth, WGC were better than in their woeful New Year’s Day home fixture with Dunstable Town and were the dominant side here - if there was one - but just one point from games against the fourth and third bottom sides in the division at the start of the year, doesn’t bode well.


Particularly as the Herns Lane side now begin a succession of home games – four in a fortnight – against some of the top sides in their section, beginning with the league leaders Peterborough Sports this coming weekend.


It always felt that WGC had the edge in this fixture with third bottom Aylesbury FC and, in truth, keeper Dan Green and his very solid back four, didn’t really have a troubling moment throughout the dull 90 minutes.


But then neither did Green’s Aylesbury counterpart Nick Bennion have an anxious afternoon in the home team’s goal, in a game of very few chances and generally poor entertainment.


WGC can point to the fact that they twice had the ball in the home net, firstly when top scorer Stuart Zanone showed twinkling feet in latching onto Ashley Kersey’s headed flick to slip around Bennion and roll home in the 17th minute, but Zanone was given offside.


The same fate befell substitute Jon Clements when he popped home a rebound after skipper Danny Payne’s shot had been charged down, with 15 minutes left to play.


Manager Adam Fisher restored available again Dave Corran to his defence and Nick Elliott to midfield, but opted to keep Clements on the bench, after his three match suspension.


Central defender Lee Close was well to the fore in the opening exchanges and made one excellent interception to foil home winger Harry Scott in Aylesbury’s first dangerous foray.


WGC’s Dave Keenleyside was supplying most of the craft in midfield and he picked out Kersey with one fine ball, the big striker squandering the opportunity with a poor ball intended for Zanone.


Kersey did better with a head-down for Zanone in the disappointing half’s closing minutes, but just as the striker was preparing to pounce, Aylesbury defender Carby got in a vital challenge.


Clements was introduced just past the hour mark and WGC looked livelier upfront immediately. Skipper Payne picked out Clements with a good ball and the substitute set up Zanone to blaze one of WGC’s best efforts of the afternoon just over the bar.


Corran, forward for a set piece, also volleyed over the top from a Jon Sexton free-kick 10 minutes from the end.


WGC had to survive a little home pressure - the first of the afternoon - just before the end, when Haule and Deacon squandered reasonable openings for Aylesbury, but the game petered out to the goalless draw that had looked inevitable, long before the end.


WGC: Green, Rolfe, Close, Corran, Sexton, Spaul, Elliott, Payne, Keenleyside (Cassidy-Sinclair 80), Zanone, Kersey (Clements 63).

Aylesbury FC 0 - 0 Welwyn Garden City FC