WGC FC logo

Welwyn Garden City FC

Home of the "Citizens" - Established 1921

The BP Mitchell Stadium, Herns Lane, Welwyn Garden City, Herts, AL7 1TA

WGC scored a vital, very necessary win over fifth placed Baldock Town on Wednesday evening to close further on the SSML Div 1 leaders, but few among the hardy spectators at Herns Lane could tell you much about it.


That's because this crucial clash was played in the foggyist conditions seen on the ground in the last few seasons and it was temendous credit to match referee Grant Mathias and his team that the game was completed.


Herns Lane was shrouded in low-lying mist well before kick-off, but Mr Mathias took the decision to let the match start and re-assess after the opening quarter. Certainly while not improving, conditions didn't worsen and for the Citizens and their supporters, at least, Mr Mathias' decision was totally exeronated.


During the early period, WGC scored the only goal of a very tight game, in eight minutes, when Sean Brettell pulled a deep, right-wing corner out wide to the edge of the area, skipper Liam Kenna looped a header goalwards and Daryl Smith got in front of Baldock keeper Nick Stillwell to glance a header over him into the net.


Stillwell also had to improvise and kick a Marc Arnott effort clear in the early minutes.


There were few goalmouth efforts able to be seen or reported until the 25th minute mark, when in a good right-wing raid, full-back Sam Perrin burst onto Sam James' clever flick to blaze a tremendous shot just over the Baldock bar.


In the very next move, a Daryl Smith pass played James in, but from a tight angle, the winger also blazed over the top, when well placed.


Joe Croft, back in goal for WGC, showed commendable skill on the ground to execute a fine tackle to dispossess Baldock' s Sean Morrison in one of the visitors' more dangerous moves, while the visitors' top scorer Lee Harman flashed another effort wide.


The gloom lifted sufficiently during half-time for the opening period of the second-half, to see Baldock's Lewis Barker to race clear of the home defence and bring a sharp double save out of Croft, just before the hour.


Jason Caswell headed a WGC chance over the bar from a long James cross and then 12 minutes from time, James had the best chance to double WGC's lead when Aaron Cato played him through with a decisive ball, but the winger's shot was too close to Stillwell, who saved


There was also a double chance late in the game, Cato again playing Caswell in, but he hesitated and had his shot blocked, the rebound fell to Arnott, whose effort had the same fate.


Baldock, urged on by the midfield power of Ian Morrison, pressed hard for a point towards the end, central defender Iain Robinson heading their best chance, from a Luke Gregson free-kick, wide of Joe Croft's post, four minutes from time.


WGC: Croft, Perrin, Kenna, Costain, Brettell (Lovell 70), James, Cifuentes ( Boodhoo 61), Smith, Cato, Caswell, Arnott (M) (Jenner 85).

Welwyn Garden City FC 1 - 0 Baldock Town

PLGS Advert for Adsense