WGC FC logo

Welwyn Garden City FC

Home of the "Citizens" - Established 1921

The BP Mitchell Stadium, Herns Lane, Welwyn Garden City, Herts, AL7 1TA

Welwyn GC arrived for this top of the table clash having set a record run of 20 unbeaten games in all competitions and knew that they faced a real tough test against a Biggleswade team only formed a couple of years ago and who had won promotion in their first competitive season.


The game was only seven minutes old, when WGC captain John McGrandles was adjudged to have committed a foul on the edge of the visitors’ box. Referee Robinson deemed him the last man and duly sent him off.


From the resulting free kick, Biggleswade’s George Riley added insult to injury by slamming his free kick through the wall and into the top corner for a 1-0 lead.


With a numeral advantage, the young Waders pressed forward at every opportunity and exploited WGC’s now makeshift defence, but they found Citizens’ keeper Charlie May in fine form, denying the hosts with some superb saves.


WGC were relieved at the break to only find themselves one down when they could have easily been three or four in arrears.


Manager Adam Fisher made two changes at half time with new signing Daniel Bond, recruited from Hertford in midweek and Danny Payne, returning from a hamstring injury, replacing Charlie Rome and Paul Marks.


This enabled the Citizens to press forward more in the second half and they almost equalised three minutes into the half, when Charlie Joy’s free kick was turned around the post in flying style by Biggleswade’s keeper.


In the 75th minute and with WGC now enjoying the majority of the possession, Payne met Joy’s corner on the edge of the box and his rasping shot was superbly turned over the bar again by the home keeper.


Despite being under immense pressure in the final quarter of the game, the youthful Biggleswade side, including ex-Citizen Taishan Griffith in midfield, managed to hold on to their slender lead, although they were mightily revealed to hear the final whistle following almost six minutes of injury time.


This win allowed Biggleswade to draw level with WGC on 32 points in second place, but having played two games more.


Although it was WGC’s first league defeat of the season, the loss was tempered by learning that leaders Berkhamsted had dropped two points away to Crawley Green in a 1-1 draw.


WGC: May, Rolfe, Boodhoo, McGrandles, Corran, Marks (Payne 46), Rome (Bond 46), Spaul, Bronti (Long 67), Clements, Joy.

Biggleswade FC 1 - 0 Welwyn Garden City FC by Malcolm Kiely