WGC FC logo

Welwyn Garden City FC

Home of the "Citizens" - Established 1921

The BP Mitchell Stadium, Herns Lane, Welwyn Garden City, Herts, AL7 1TA

REVENGE is sweet.


WGC wiped out the one blot of their potential promotion-winning season with this emphatic victory, overcoming the only SSML Premier division side that appeared to have the Indian sign on Herns Lane ambitions.


The fledgling Biggleswade FC side, newly promoted last season, were meeting Adam Fisher’s side for the fourth time this campaign.


The previous three had been victories for the youthful Waders, knocking WGC out of the FA Vase and the League Trophy with single goal victories and holding a slender 1-0 win over the Citizens from the sides’ previous meeting at Langford Road in early November.


That victory had been declared void by the SSML, Biggleswade losing the points for fielding an ineligible player and the game ordered to be replayed.


This was that rerun. And this time WGC made no mistake, overpowering the slick, youthful Beds side with a strong second-half display, in a game played in torrential rain for a large part of it.


But the Citizens had to survive some early scares before victory was assured.


In the eighth minute, they had a major let-off, when the home side’s Tom Cookman broke through, saw WGC keeper Charlie May start to advance off his line and chipped him. The ball hit the far post, bounced along the goalmouth, before being cleared to safety.


WGC survived that scare to take the lead in 11 minutes. Moments after Ben Spaul had been foiled by home keeper Green, Ashley Kersey got over a good cross from the left and Nick Elliott, back after suspension, tucked away a low effort on the near post.


On 15 minutes, home appeals for a penalty were turned down by referee Mackey as John McGrandles clashed with Cookman in the box.


Play continued upfield, but in the aftermath of the incident, WGC’s Paul Marks was adjuged to have pushed Cookman over in the area. Play was called back. Mr Mackey consulted his assistant and awarded a spot-kick for the second incident.


Charlie May proved the WGC hero, blocking Nathan George’s penalty to fall on the rebound. Marks received a yellow card for his part.


Kersey spurned a golden chance of a WGC second 25 minutes in, when he badly miscued in front of goal, when Marks’ long ball found him unmarked and the big forward seemed the victim of a poor challenge by keeper Green, when brought down outside the area 10 minutes from the break.


But Mr Mackey waved play on – bearing in mind the conditions – to the annoyance of the large contingent of WGC fans.


Keeper May made a brave save at the feet of Biggleswade’s Lee Northfield 10 minutes after the restart, the rebound falling to Cookman, who struck his effort wide.


Dan Bond replaced Josh Bronti and he immediately had a chance to double WGC’s lead, but lobbed tamely at keeper Green.


But a WGC second wasn’t long in coming. Spaul put Bond through with a telling ball and the forward tipped it forward for Kersey to run onto and finish emphatically, blazing past keeper Green for 2-0.


Now WGC were much more comfortable and they emphasised this with a third six minutes later.


It was a similar goal. This time Elliott broke up play and played substitute Jon Clements clean through. He helped it into Kersey’s path and the big forward crashed home his second of the game to really bury the WGC bogey.


There was even opportunity for a hat-trick. Kersey, now rampant, striking a fine, rising effort just past the far post, as WGC succeeded in putting all previous encounters with the Waders, firmly behind them.


WGC: May, Rolfe, Corran, McGrandles, Hatherly, Marks (Payne 65), Spaul, Elliott, Bronti (Bond 56), Kersey, Joy (Clements 69).

Biggleswade FC 0 - 3 Welwyn Garden City FC