WGC FC logo

Welwyn Garden City FC

Home of the "Citizens" - Established 1921

The BP Mitchell Stadium, Herns Lane, Welwyn Garden City, Herts, AL7 1TA

A CARL Mensah header midway through the first-half gave WGC their second successive home win in four days and took the most impressive playing record currently in the SSML Premier.


Visitors Biggleswade United came into this game and on the back of eight straight league wins and only two defeats in their last 18 games - and one of those in a penalty shoot-out in a League Trophy tie.


But a somewhat patched-up WGC side, minus unavailable top scorer Josh Bronti , fellow forward Luke Robins and unwell Danny Payne and Nathan Dimmock in their midfield, kept the fast-rising Beds side at bay and only allowed them one clear opening at keeper Joe Croft's goal in the entire 90 minutes.


Unfortunately, winning manager Adam Fisher wasn't able to see the final quarter of his side's victory as he was banished from the touchline by referee Mark Stevens for "exiting too far from his technical area to berate a linesman over a decision.''


It was a far from memorable game on a cold night, but the Citizens, with their giant central defender Mensah in an unusual midfield role, had the best of things early on despite Biggleswade forward Stuart Richardson heading a long cross just wide in the opening 10 minutes.


The visitors keeper Tom Wyant required lengthy treatment after a mid-air clash with WGC central defender John McGrandles, from a corner and on 21 minutes Wyant was found wanting, as another accurate Jay Welsh flag kick found the head of the towering Mensah on the far post, who looped his header into the opposite corner of the net.


A unfortunate miscue off skipper Darryl Smith's foot set Richardson free again and WGC defender Yasin Boodhoo earned a booking as he brought the forward down on the edge of the area. Nick Elliott curled his free-kick just over the bar.


Smith's endeavour set up a shooting chance for Jason Caswell, that the returned WGC forward put wide, while Craig Arnott, playing his first WGC game in six weeks, had another snap effort deflected just past a post, as the Herns Lane side finished the half the stronger.


They opened the second period with a beautifully crafted move, Ashley Kersey creating and then running onto Dave Parkinson's cross to head in, only for the effort to be ruled out for offside.


Just past the hour, another good effort from Caswell almost brought a second. He got up to head over keeper Wyant, but the effort lacked power to cross the goalline and Biggleswade defender Sagwete hacked it clear.


WGC keeper Croft was stretched to his only serious save of the evening to hold onto a good effort from Biggleswade substitute Scott Batchelor, while Caswell had a second goal bound header cleared away by the visitors' skipper Lee Bilcock as WGC pressed for a clinching second goal, that just wouldn't come.


WGC: Croft, Lovell, Boodhoo, McGrandles, Welsh, Mensah, Smith, Arnott (Price 68), Parkinson (Tring L 90), Kersey, Caswell (Perrin 86).

Welwyn Garden City FC 1 - 0 Biggleswade United