WGC FC logo

Welwyn Garden City FC

Home of the "Citizens" - Established 1921

The BP Mitchell Stadium, Herns Lane, Welwyn Garden City, Herts, AL7 1TA

THIS was a victory for two Welwyn GC FC teams.


The first was obviously Adam Fisher’s promotion-seeking team, who notched their highest tally at home this season with this revenge victory over the only SSML Premier side to beat them in the league this season.


The second was the team of WGC fans, who volunteered to sweep the pitch two hours before kick-off to get the game playable after it had passed a pitch inspection in mid morning.


They came with their brooms and brushes and cleared the pitch to the satisfaction of match referee Michael Heavey and their team rewarded them with a powerful second-half performance and an emphatic victory.


For the opening half-hour of the game, it looked like everybody’s efforts were hardly worthwhile, as both teams struggled to conquer the heavy conditions.


There was hardly an effort in the first 30 minutes, a Jon Clements snap shot wide in the first minute being the only thing of note, other than bookings for WGC’s Nick Elliott and Danny Payne.


But six minutes from the break came the breakthrough when Elliott put over a low cross, Ashley Kersey, who went on to be the Citizens’ match star, turned it into a good ball, with a physical but legal challenge on a Biggleswade United defender and Ben Spaul came in to net with a low effort through a crowded area, that beat visiting keeper Ryan Haggerty.


Five minutes later was doubled, when a good left-wing WGC move, ended with Jon Sexton threading through a pass that Clements despatched into the far corner.


WGC were far happier at the break now, with their two goal cushion.


The game was effectively sealed three minutes after the restart. Jay Rolfe put over one of a series of fine crosses from the right, Kersey directed a beautifully cushioned header down to Clements and the top scorer did the rest, crashing home his second of the game, for 3-0.


Biggleswade United were almost immediately reduced to 10 men, when ex-Citizen Dave Parkinson was shown a straight red for following through on a dangerous tackle on home skipper Payne.


WGC, now totally on top, added a fourth with midfielder Elliott’s final contribution of the game, a close-in, flicked header beyond Haggerty from another Rolfe cross, before being replaced by Tyler Hatherly.


The Beds visitors reduced arrears with a spectacular effort from full-back Kane Farrell, that dipped over WGC keeper Charlie May from fully 30 yards, but it was only consolation.


The Citizens got back on top within minutes and Kersey, who the Biggleswade defence just couldn’t handle, added a fifth in 79 minutes, collecting a Spaul pass and driving it home under Haggerty and then made it six two minutes from time.


The big forward challenged the keeper to a huge, high ball. Haggerty landed in a heap, injured, but Kersey once he had regained his balance and composure, collected the loose ball and rolled the sixth into an empty net, to make the 3-2 reversal in January at Biggleswade, a totally forgettable memory.


WGC: May, Rolfe, Corran, McGrandles (Marks 46), Sexton, Spaul, Elliott (Hatherly 69), Payne, Bronti (Bond 74), Kersey, Clements.

Welwyn Garden City FC 6 - 1 Biggleswade United