WGC FC logo

Welwyn Garden City FC

Home of the "Citizens" - Established 1921

The BP Mitchell Stadium, Herns Lane, Welwyn Garden City, Herts, AL7 1TA

WELWYN GC went into the last eight of the Dudley Latham Premier Cup in this remarkable cup-tie at Broxbourne's Goffs Lane, which produced 11 goals!


WGC took their revenge for a league defeat by the Boro, who were promoted into the SSML Premier this season alongside the Citizens, just a fortnight earlier at Herns Lane.


And Broxbourne would point out that the fact that Adam Fisher's side were able to rack up eight goals was due to the fact that the home side played just under an hour of the tie without a recognised goalkeeper.


That was because their first choice Adam Seymour was sent off by referee Lior Koskas on 33 minutes for handling outside his area, deliberately preventing a clear goalscoring opportunity in the official's opinion.


That said, WGC were already 2-0 up at that stage, in their best opening half-hour performance of the season so far and had hit the woodwork.


Josh Bronti opened the scoring with a sweet dipping volley past Seymour in six minutes to underline WGC's very bright start. Three minutes later, Yasin Boodhoo got on the end of a Jay Lovell free-kick to glance a powerful header over Seymour for his second goal in successive games and 2-0.


WGC also hit Seymour's crossbar in this spell, a sharp side-volley by Daryl Smith deflecting off a home defender onto the woodwork.


Broxbourne weren't in the game and even less so, when outfield player Ryan Wade donned the keeper's jersey, with the home side not having a recognised keeper on the bench.


The perfect half for WGC was crowned by a third from John McGrandles, who rose to a Jay Welsh free-kick to flick a strong header beyond the substitute keeper to also score his second in successive games.


It looked as though we might be in for a cricket score, when Lovell drove in the fourth through a crowded area three minutes after the restart.


But to their credit, Broxbourne made a real fight of it in the second 45 minutes. Skipper Matt Thompson set up Rian Carroll to pull one back just past the hour.


But three minutes later a defence-splitting ball from Welsh sent the impressive Ashley Kersey charging down the middle to net the first of a second-half hat-trick for 5-1.


Back came Broxbourne for Carroll to turn provider for Adam Murad to drive past Jamie Jackson for 5-2, but within minutes, central defender Boodhoo was scrambling in his second to restore the four goal margin.


That became 6-3 after Murad struck the WGC woodwork and defender Samir Aalit was on hand to net the rebound, but Kersey had the last say, when he drove home his second through deputy keeper Wade's legs for 7-3 in 88 minutes and then completed his hat-trick on the stroke of time, finishing off a fine dribble from Dave Parkinson.


WGC: Jackson, Lovell, Boodhoo, McGrandles (Mensah 68), Welsh (Cifuentes 73), Price, Smith, Arnott , Bronti (Perrin 60), Kersey, Parkinson.

Broxbourne Boro 3 - 8 Welwyn Garden City FC