WGC FC logo

Welwyn Garden City FC

Home of the "Citizens" - Established 1921

The BP Mitchell Stadium, Herns Lane, Welwyn Garden City, Herts, AL7 1TA

Evo-stik logo

JASON Caswell re-discovered his scoring touch to deliver the SSML Div 1 Championship trophy to Herns Lane.


WGC, promoted three nights earlier with an emphatic 3-0 success at Baldock Town, claimed their league title in comfortable fashion against a youthful and inexperienced Chesham second string.


And it was last season's 51 goal man Caswell, who hasn't been in the same unstoppable, predatory form this campaign, despite having netted 27 times, who made it so easy with a quartet of goals - including a hat-trick of headers!


Adam Fisher's men were never in any danger of not securing the win they needed, from the 15th minute of this game, when a Caswell double in three minutes, had virtually made victory certain.


On 12 minutes, he rose among a posse of players on the back post to reach a Sean Brettell corner and headed down and in to give WGC the lead.


Three minutes later, that advantage was doubled, when Daryl Smith, who will miss WGC's final trio of games through suspension, delivered a peach of a pass over the Chesham defence and Caswell ran between two defenders to stab his second past Chesham Res keeper Payne.


The Citizens kept up the pressure for the remainder of the half. Brettell drove a strong free-kick inches wide, while busy midfielder Sam James could have had a couple, landing a close-in header on the roof of the net after a fine WGC build-up and then, off-balance, driving a shot wide having been set up by Joel Norris.


But an eager WGC had suffice with two until the 58th minute, when Caswell completed his hat-trick with a picture goal, rising beautifully to another Brettell corner to plant a fine header back past Payne into the far corner for 3-0.


Keeper Payne made a fine double save to keep out a Brettell set-piece piledriver and then saved the rebound effort from Caswell, but the striker's fourth wasn't far away.


On 72 minutes, a Sam Perrin free-kick saw Smith have his close-in effort blocked, the ball bounced up nicely for Caswell who placed his header out of Payne's reach, for his headed hat-trick and fourth in all.


Three minutes later, WGC were five up as Joel Norris turned well on James' low cross to finish in trademark fashion, sweeping his effort into the bottom corner for his 42nd of the season.


The Citizens also had the ball in the net a sixth time, when substitute Reggie Ross got in a good, downward header to score, after Aaron Cato and substitute Craig Arnott had combined, but the young winger's effort was ruled out for offside.


The only WGC concern of the entire game, came eight minutes from time. Keeper Joe Croft had to make his only real save of the afternoon, diving at Emmanuel Rowe's feet, when the Chesham forward broke through the home defence.


Croft was injured making the save and had to have lengthy treatment before being helped from the field with a badly lacerated shin. Having made all three substitutions, WGC were forced to field defender Yasin Boodhoo in goal for the closing stages and finished the game with 10 men.


Boodhoo didn't have a save to make, while at the other end WGC could have added two more to the final tally. Keeper Payne made a fine block to thwart Craig Arnott, while his brother and fellow sub Marc Arnott had a stoppage time effort cleared off the line in spectacular fashion by Chesham defender Ricky Brennan.


WGC: Croft, Perrin, Kenna, Boodhoo, Brettell, James (Ross 68), Cifuentes, Smith, Cato, Caswell (Arnott M 73), Norris (Arnott C 77).

Welwyn Garden City FC 5 - 0 Chesham United Reserves