WGC FC logo

Welwyn Garden City FC

Home of the "Citizens" - Established 1921

The BP Mitchell Stadium, Herns Lane, Welwyn Garden City, Herts, AL7 1TA

CLAPTON may have brought their ultras, flares and flags to the FA Vase party in the stands at Herns Lane, but on the pitch it was WGC who were in boisterous mood.


Adam Fisher’s City side bossed the second qualifying round tie from start to finish, as they won 3-0 against a club from a step higher then them in the football pyramid in Essex Senior League Clapton.


The away supporters set up camp between the two dugouts with flags draped over the railings, they sang throughout the game and set off the occasional flare to create a quite brilliant and unique atmosphere at this level of the game.


While the hosts’ fanbase responded well and were in good voice themselves.


On the field WGC took the game to their visitors from the first whistle and created five good chances before eventually taking the lead on eight minutes.


Visiting keeper Pape Ndiaye-Diagne had already denied both Craig Arnott and Jason Caswell twice before Joel NORRIS headed in a Sean Brettell corner to break the deadlock.


The Citizens continued to dominate the clash, they doubled the advantage on 33 minutes as Norris wriggled away from his marker and rolled the ball across the six yard box for CASWELL to divert in.


It was more of the same after the break with the visitors offering little to trouble home keeper Joe Croft.


It was game over on 55 minutes as a fine Juan Cifuentes through ball found CASWELL who rounded Ndiaye-Diagne and converted impressively from a tight angle for his second of the game.


Following the third goal WGC took their foot off the gas as they comfortably progressed to the next round - the first round proper - where they will host Peterborough Sports of the United Counties League Div 1.


WELWYN GC: Croft, Perrin, Costain, Dekanski, Brettell, James, Cifuentes, Boodhoo, Arnott, Norris, Caswell.


subs:- Ross, Jenner, Stellon (all used).

Welwyn Garden City 3 - 0 Clapton Ultras Report by Mark Hemmings