WGC FC logo

Welwyn Garden City FC

Home of the "Citizens" - Established 1921

The BP Mitchell Stadium, Herns Lane, Welwyn Garden City, Herts, AL7 1TA

FORWARD Dave Parkinson's fourth goal in successive games gave WGC a 1-0 double over struggling neighbours Colney Heath, to get the Herns Lane side back to winning ways, in midweek.


For the fourth match in succession, Parkinson found the net, this time crashing home a fierce effort under Heath keeper Ollie Leslie, after recalled Craig Arnott had failed to turn in a pinpoint cross from the outstanding Sam Perrin, in 63 minutes.


A solitary goal gave WGC maximum points for the second time this season, over a Heath side, now managed by ex-Hatfield boss Micky Nathan, after their 1-0 away win in November, achieved by John McGrandles' very late goal.


WGC boss Adam Fisher, with a depleted side without the unwell Jay Lovell and Carl Mensah and with Joe Price unavailable, also elected to rest his two top scorers - Josh Bronti and Ashley Kersey - both on the bench.


He did have Danny Payne back in midfield, after illness and he played an hour.


As a result of resting his twin spearhead, there was little goalmouth action in the opening 45 minutes. The exception being a quickly taken free-kick in 14 minutes, which saw skipper Daryl Smith play Luke Robins in, only for Colney keeper Leslie to make a sharp, one-handed stop low down.


Arnott skied another opening way over the top, as did Jason Caswell and Parkinson with later chances, while at the other end, Colney Heath's best two openings fell to winger Joe Longworth, but he finished both weakly, firstly a header and then a close-in shot.


Matters were much improved after the break from a WGC standpoint and they dominated the second 45 minutes.


Robins had an early effort saved by keeper Lewis' feet, before Parkinson broke the deadlock with his emphatic finish.


Colney Heath responded with a Jay Rolfe effort over the crossbar, but it was an isolated effort as WGC dominated, skipper Smith having the visiting keeper scrambling to keep out a 20 yard snapshot.


The visitors were reduced to 10 men when their midfielder Samson King was sent off for a second yellow card, after a dispute over the award of a corner to WGC, which did appear to be a Colney Heath goal-kick.


Parkinson was inches away from a second, when he peeled away from a Jay Welsh corner to get in a glancing header that beat Leslie, but defender James Lawrence got it off the line.


The introduction of Bronti and Kersey for the final half-hour did make a difference and a powerful Kersey run down the right was only foiled by another save from Leslie with his legs, to keep the lead to one goal.


In comparison, Joe Croft was having a quiet evening in the WGC goal, but two minutes from time, a McGrandles slip let in Colney's highly rated captain Charncey Dash and Croft had to make a fine stop with his legs, to preserve the points.


In the closing moments, WGC introduced new keeper Kieran Clayton for Croft, to qualify him for their two upcoming cup finals.


WGC: Croft (Clayton 89), Perrin, Boodhoo, McGrandles, Welsh, Payne (Bronti 59), Smith, Arnott (Kersey 71), Parkinson, Caswell, Robins.

Welwyn Garden City FC 1 - 0 Colney Heath