WGC FC logo

Welwyn Garden City FC

Home of the "Citizens" - Established 1921

The BP Mitchell Stadium, Herns Lane, Welwyn Garden City, Herts, AL7 1TA

WGC finally got back into action after almost a month's inactivity, with a powerful second-half showing, to stretch their lead at the top of SSML Div 1 to six points.


It was a first game of 2015 for both Adam Fisher's side and their visitors, an unstrength Crawley Green from Luton, but the Citizens showed little sign of rustiness in the opening 25 minutes as they tore into their opponents.


Joel Norris was denied inside four minutes with a goalline block after strike partner Jason Caswell had easily slipped around the visiting defence, but WGC were ahead five minutes later from Sam Perrin's right-wing corner. Caswell had a header blocked in front of goal, but the rebound fell to central defender Jack Dekanski, who drove the loose ball in.


WGC thought they had doubled their lead on 15 minutes, when after a powerful run of 30 yards from Juan Cifuentres, Marc Arnott crossed and Norris looked to have swept the second home. But after consultation with his assistant, referee Walshe disallowed the effort for handball by the striker.


That disappointment seemed to have a profound effect on WGC's bright start and Crawley Green gradually began to play their way back into the game.


The Luton side felt they had justified claims for a penalty on the half-hour when Caswell, helping out in defence, challenged Crawley Green's Downes, who went down. Mr Walshe felt the WGC man had won the ball cleanly and only awarded a corner.


The home side closed the half with a well struck free-kick from Norris from 25 yards that went inches past the post.


Manager Fisher gave his side a stern talking-to at the interval and it paid almost instant dividends.


They went 2-0 up seven minutes after the restart, Sean Brettell's fine ball down the left found Norris, he slipped inside a couple of visiting challenges and took his time in picking his spot, with a low shot past keeper McLachlan into the bottom corner.


On 66 minutes the points were secure thanks to a WGC third. Perrin overlapped to good effect down the right and cut the ball back perfectly into the path of Caswell, who struck a fierce effort over McLachlan into the roof of the net.


Two minutes later, a fine move almost produced a WGC fourth. Cifuentes broke down the right and put in a cross that Norris back-headed for partner Caswell, whose rising shot this time crashed back off the crossbar.


But a fourth wasn't long in coming. Eleven minutes from time, another WGC corner on the left, saw Perrin strike it long to the back post, where Yasin Boodhoo - who had done a good job in deputising for the suspended Daryl Smith in midfield - rose to bury a short-range header and complete WGC's highly satisfactory return to action.


WGC: Croft, Perrin, Kenna, Dekanski, Brettell, Arnott (C) (James 65), Cifuentes (Stellon 75), Boodhoo, Arnott (M) (Tring J 72), Caswell, Norris.

Welwyn Garden City FC 4 - 0 Crawley Green