WGC FC logo

Welwyn Garden City FC

Home of the "Citizens" - Established 1921

The BP Mitchell Stadium, Herns Lane, Welwyn Garden City, Herts, AL7 1TA

WELWYN GC’s blistering start to this game effectively ended it as a contest, as the Citizens built up a four goal lead inside the first half-hour to claim the points that kept their promotion bid on track, going into the vital month of February.


Adam Fisher’s side showed no ill effects from their first league defeat of the season 10 days before at Biggleswade United, where they lost 3-2, despite a Jon Clements double, as they tore into an understrength Edgware from the start.


The North Londoners, who battled throughout and pulled a goal back at the end of each half, had their veteran goalkeeping coach Darren Bonfield between the sticks and he had a torrid afternoon.


The ball hit the back of the Edgware net nine times during the 90 plus minutes, but WGC had four efforts ruled out – three for fractional offsides and once for a foul in the build-up.


The victory, in which WGC gave new signing from Biggleswade United Nick Elliott his debut, proved absolutely necessary.


All the other members of the SSML’s top five won and long-time leaders Berkhamsted, whom WGC now meet twice in a week – in their postponed Herts Charity Shield semi-final in midweek and away at Berkhamsted in the league meeting of the season so far next Saturday, also scored five.


WGC took an immediate lead in the game’s opening attack. Ben Spaul lofted a dangerous ball into Edgware area and Dan Bond cleverly lifted it above Bonfield into the top corner of the net.


In seven minutes the lead was doubled. Full-back Jay Rolfe overlapped to good effect and got over a fine cross that saw Jon Clements time his run perfectly to drive a low shot firmly past Bonfield for 2-0.


On 19 minutes, a beleaguered Edgware found themselves three in arrears.


This goal owed everything to a fine run from the back by central defender Carl Mensah, in for the injured Yasin Boodhoo.


He switched passes with skipper Danny Payne, who played the big defender into the area, for him to cross, Ashley Kersey striking the low ball home in emphatic style.


On 29 minutes, Kersey had a second and WGC a fourth and it was the pick of the bunch. A left-wing cross from full-back Jon Sexton, saw Kersey pull it down and volley an instant effort that rebounded in off the far post for a 4-0 lead.


Two minutes from the break, Edgware, who came more into the game in the half’s closing stages, reduced arrears. Forward Rio Beech swerved in a fine effort from out of the left, to beat keeper Charlie May into the far corner.


Almost predictably, the second-half couldn’t match the opening 45 minutes for action and there was little of consequence until manager Fisher made a couple of changes, bringing on Charlie Joy for Clements and Joel Norris for two goal Kersey.


In his first involvement, Norris raced through and struck the foot of an Edgware post with a low effort.


Two minutes later, the WGC scoring legend played a fine ball into the path of fellow substitute Joy, who drove the Citizens’ fifth powerfully home, with a low effort that went in under Bonfield.


To their credit, Edgware kept plugging away and were rewarded with a second 10 minutes from time, when a corner was cleared out to Ryan Carruthers who struck it through a crowded area, to beat May and complete the afternoon’s scoring.


WGC: May, Rolfe, Mensah, Corran (McGrandles 77), Sexton, Payne, Spaul, Elliott, Bond, Kersey (Norris 70), Clements (Joy 64).

Welwyn Garden City FC 5 - 2 Edgware Town