WGC FC logo

Welwyn Garden City FC

Home of the "Citizens" - Established 1921

The BP Mitchell Stadium, Herns Lane, Welwyn Garden City, Herts, AL7 1TA

WELWYN GC Youth took the bragging rights and Hatfield's 100 per cent record in this derby win in the Southern Counties Floodlit Youth League, at Gosling Sports Park.


Hatfield had won their previous, opening four league games in emphatic style, but met their match in their Herns Lane neighbours, who themselves are unbeaten, although have dropped two points in an earlier match.


The young Citizens totally dominated the opening half of this encounter and built up a 3-0 lead in half-an-hour, hardly having a worrying moment in the first 45 minutes.


But they let their grip on the game slip, certainly in the last half-hour, where Hatfield reduced arrears to 3-1 with 20 minutes remaining and reduced to the lead to a single goal with a second in the very last attack of the game.


WGC Yth began this clash in blistering fashion and were ahead in four minutes, striker Nathan Isherwood dispossessing Hatfield full-back Nathan James to cross low and Jordan Tring put the Herns Lane side ahead, stabbing past keeper Rory Goodman.


The visitors doubled their lead with a spectacular individual effort from Nathan Dimmock, who is currently in WGC's first-team. He picked up 25 yards out, slipped a couple of challenges and struck an unstoppable effort past Goodman for 2-0.


Four minutes later, just past the half-hour, it was three as WGC Yth were totally dominant. Dimmock sent full-back Seb Melandez on the overlap, he crossed and Isherwood brought it down to turn sweetly and dispatch his effort into the far corner.


But with the game comfortably in their grasp, WGC Yth began the second-half confidently enough. Dimmock fired another screamer just past a post and Hatfield keeper Goodman had to claw a deflected corner over his own crossbar.


It should have been 4-0 when Melandez put over another good cross that fell to Reggie Ross, but he hit keeper Goodman from a couple of yards out and chance was lost.


With 20 minutes to go, Hatfield's top marksman Emmanuel Banhene, who had been well policed all evening, escaped his markers, burrowed his way through and struck a fierce effort high beyond WGC Yth keeper Marcus Bourne for 3-1.


Then In the closing quarter of the game, Hatfield Yth pressed for really the only time to further reduce the deficit.


They achieved it, but only in the final minute of stoppage time. Elliott Beevor lofted in a high free-kick, WGC Yth's defence didn't clear their lines and when the ball dropped, Reece Strickland drove it low past Bourne for 3-2.


There was barely time to re-start the game and certainly no time for Hatfield to make any further in-roads.


Hatfield Tn Yth: Goodman, Webb, James, Fambisai, Williams, Beevor, Strickland, Coleman, Banahene, Fairey, Holland. subs:- Dickinson, Evans, Cress-Hackett, Jackson, Mubariwa (all used).


WGC Yth: Bourne, Tring (L), Foster, Melandez, Bearman, McGoohan, Dimmock, Ball, Ross, Isherwood, Tring (J). subs:- McQuaid, Smith, Dixon, Parker (all used).

Hatfield Town Youth 2 - 3 Welwyn Garden City FC Youth