WGC FC logo

Welwyn Garden City FC

Home of the "Citizens" - Established 1921

The BP Mitchell Stadium, Herns Lane, Welwyn Garden City, Herts, AL7 1TA

WELWYN GC, having lost their unbeaten record the previous week in a tight encounter with division leaders London Colney, were beaten for a second game in succession at Leverstock Green on Saturday.


But this time they were completely outplayed throughout the 90 minutes by the mid-table opposition from Hemel Hempstead, who dominated this game throughout.


WGC manager Adam Fisher was deprived of suspended duo James Ewington (three games) and Danny Payne (one) and did have Danny Fitzgerald injured and Joe Foley unwell, but this was still quite the worst WGC display in a very long time.


Leverstock's Curtis Donaldson is a player in whom WGC had an interest in last season and on this display it was quite easy to see why. The skilful midfielder ran WGC ragged throughout and helped himself to two finely struck goals.


The visitors produced just one on-target effort throughout the 90 minutes and that a rising effort from Josh Bronti, five minutes from half-time, only produced a regulation save from home keeper Liam Jahn.


Other than they only had one further chance in the entire game, when five minutes after the break, the disappointing Lee Armitt got clear from a Yasin Boodhoo flick, but in attempting to switch the ball between his feet, allowed Hemel skipper Shane Wood to catch him and get in a telling challenge.


Leverstock, currently between managers, bossed the game from the start and WGC keeper Olly Leslie did well to tip away a cross from the home side's Louis Bowers after Donaldson had played him through, in the early minutes.


The returned Lewis Endacott had to produce an excellent tackle to foil Bowers moments later, as Donaldson again opened up WGC, so it was little surprise in 22 minutes when the home side took the lead.


Striker Kirk Davidson evaded three attempts at a WGC challenge before finding Donaldson, who still had work to do, before driving his shot low past Leslie for a deserved 1-0 lead.


A mis-kick by home defender Ben Darby gave WGC a rare sight of goal, but Luke Robins was crowded out before he could get in a telling shot and it was only a fine tip-over save from Leslie to keep out a Bowers close-in effort that prevented WGC turning around 2-0 down.


After Armitt had spurned the early second-half chance, manager Fisher answered the clamour among the WGC support to bring on Ashley Kersey, who had bagged a hat-trick for the club under 25's in midweek, but the switch - for Bronti - didn't spark much improvement.


Ross Adams put another good opening for the home side past a post before WGC's fate was sealed 14 minutes from time.


A good overlapping run by full-back Johnson set up Davidson for a shot that beat keeper Leslie and came back off the post. Before WGC's defence could react, defender Darby quickly put the rebound into the net.


Ten minutes later it was 3-0 as Leverstock Green worked the ball down the right to Donaldson, who held off a couple of challenges before crashing a rising effort beyond Leslie to complete the rout.


Home officials felt it was the best their side had played in a long time.


For WGC, whose promotion hopes will fade fast with displays like this, it was just the reverse - their worst performance in months.


WGC: Leslie, Endacott (Griffith 65), McGrandles, Standen, Doolan, Long, Boodhoo, Melford-Rowe, Bronti (Kersey 55), Armitt (Welsh 84), Robins.

Leverstock Green 3 - 0 Welwyn Garden City FC