WGC FC logo

Welwyn Garden City FC

Home of the "Citizens" - Established 1921

The BP Mitchell Stadium, Herns Lane, Welwyn Garden City, Herts, AL7 1TA

WELWYN GC made it 12 games unbeaten when they comprehensibly defeated Herts rivals Leverstock Green in the second round of the SSML Premier Cup in midweek.


Having accounted for Holmer Green in the first round, they will be looking for an Emerald treble, when they take on Luton’s Crawley Green in the quarter-finals on Wednesday, November 15.


Their goalscoring efforts continued unabated in this game at Hemel Hempstead, as top scorer Jon Clements added another hat-trick - of outstanding goals - to put the Citizens in total control, on a ground which in previous seasons, they haven’t had much of a winning record.


But there was little doubt about the outcome of this tie from the early minutes.


WGC started firmly on the front foot. A couple of dangerous crosses in the early minutes saw Clements and fellow forward Josh Bronti just inches away from a Jon Sexton’s cross and then the recalled George Ironton and midfielder Charlie Rome set up another chance, from which Bronti couldn’t find a finish.


The home side showed they weren’t be underestimated at this stage and Matt Batemen got clean through, but when confronted by outrushing keeper Charlie May, put his shot wide.


Home keeper Doyle-Creamer held onto a Clements effort hit as the striker was falling and then made a fine double block, firstly from an Ironton piledriver and then Clements’ follow-up effort.


WGC finally got the breakthrough in 25 minutes. Ironton, having an outstanding game, got over an inch-perfect cross from which Clements cleverly glanced a header over the keeper and into the far corner.


WGC lost Sexton with an ankle injury in a crunching tackle on Leverstock Green’s Adams and Yasin Boodhoo, originally rested for the game, replaced him.


Three minutes from the break, WGC doubled their lead with a sensational second.


It was begun by a clever Ironton flick that played Rome through to produce a defence-splitting pass into Clements, who still had work to do. He burst between two challenges before rifling his second high into the net.


Six minutes after the restart, WGC had three. Bronti collected on the right, turned inside and struck a shot that keeper Doyle-Creamer should have saved, the effort passing under his body.


The keeper then got in the way of another Bronti short-range effort after Ironton had completely opened up the home defence with a left-wing run.


Just past the hour, Clements had his hat-trick and WGC their fourth. This time the striker collected himself 20 yards out, turned a defender and raced through to crash in an individual third goal.


Leverstock Green were now completely dispirited and WGC manager Adam Fisher brought on Paul Marks and Ashley Kersey, for midfield duo Danny Payne and Ben Spaul.


Both substitutes got on the scoresheet before the end. In fact, Kersey could have had a hat-trick.


He added a fifth in five style in 77 minutes. Again Ironton was the provider, winning the ball and playing the big frontman through, Kersey showed fine skill in evading the home side’s Bonner and hit a strong finish into the bottom corner.


Four minutes later he collected a long goal kick from May and struck a dipping effort over Doyle-Creamer only to see it hit the post and bounce out.


Then moments later, the young, home keeper made a fine tip-over save from the very lively Kersey, to prevent a sixth.


That came, however, two minutes from time. Ironton and Clements both had close-in efforts blocked by the keeper, but Paul Marks, raiding upfront, forced the third effort over the line to complete another fine evening’s work from the currently rampant Citizens.


WGC: May, Rolfe, Corran, McGrandles, Sexton (Boodhoo 38), Payne (Marks 60), Rome, Spaul (Kersey 71), Bronti, Clements, Ironton.

Leverstock Green 0 - 6 Welwyn Garden City FC