WGC FC logo

Welwyn Garden City FC

Home of the "Citizens" - Established 1921

The BP Mitchell Stadium, Herns Lane, Welwyn Garden City, Herts, AL7 1TA

A SUBSTITUTION by WGC manager Adam Fisher clinched a hard fought victory for WGC, to propel them to fourth in the SSML Premier table, but this was no repeat of their midweek nine goal crushing of Colney Heath.


Fisher made a double change with 20 minutes to go of this fixture with second bottom London Tigers, who have just a single league win this season, with the score tied at 2-2.


He brought on Joe Foley and striker Jack Read for Ashley Kersey and Taishan Griffith and although Foley supplied some neat crosses and passes with his fine left-foot delivery, it was Read who proved the catalyst for a WGC victory.


Inside a minute of being introduced, he scored the goal that put WGC ahead for a third time in the game and then 13 minutes from the end, supplied the pass that Josh Bronti put away to seal the victory.


Boss Fisher kept the same starting line-up that had won by a seven goal margin four nights earlier, returned defenders Lewis Endacott and Martin Standen, both going on the bench.


WGC began in the same scintillating form and Luke Robins could have had a hat-trick in the opening 10 minutes.


In two minutes of the start, Robins brought a fine tip-around save from Tigers' keeper Amagebt (correct). From the resulting corner, it was Robins' close-in header that brushed a post.


Five minutes in and Manny Melford-Rowe, having his best game since joining WGC, pulled over a cross from the left, that Robins struck against the Tigers' woodwork.


On 10 minutes WGC's early pressure was rewarded with the lead from the penalty spot. Amagebt pushed away a long cross from Bronti, but lost possession of the ball. But as attacking WGC full-back Jay Welsh closed in on the loose ball, the keeper knocked him over for referee Hantea to award a spot-kick that Bronti put high into the net, for 1-0.


The Citizens went off the boil somewhat after their blistering start, although Melford-Rowe landed a flicked header on the roof of the visitors' net and good build-up involving him, Bronti and Kersey resulted in the big striker driving his final effort just past a post.


Tigers showed nothing in attack until five minutes from the break, when striker Daniel Awonusi was played clean through. WGC keeper Olly Leslie pulled off a fine half-block from the striker's effort and Yasin Boodhoo got behind his keeper to complete an excellent clearance.


But the reprieve lasted just two minutes. Tigers hit back and overlapping full-back Wilson Chipunga was played in down the left to outpace Boodhoo and as Leslie advanced, he slipped his shot into the far corner for 1-1.


Tigers were on terms just two minutes. On 44 minutes, Melford-Rowe checked inside his defender and delivered an outstanding cross onto the head of Kersey, whose bullet header struck the bar and bounced down and in to restore the WGC lead on the stroke of the interval.


But four minutes after the restart, Tigers were on terms again, midfielder Pireto's fine ball putting Awunosi through to plant his shot wide of Leslie to tie the scores.


WGC pressed to restore their lead, John McGrandles meeting a Welsh free-kick with a powerful header that was just wide of the far post.


Then on 65 minutes, Amagebt made the save of the game, as Jay Welsh struck a powerful effort. The Tigers' keeper threw his body into the path of the effort and deflected it to safety.


Moments later it his opposite number who excelled as Tigers almost took the lead, the dangerous Awunosi this time squaring it for Pireto, whose shot was turned over the top by a fine Leslie save.


It was then that boss Fisher made his double switch. Within a minute, the lively and inventive Read was played into the area, he shot while falling, to see his effort take a deflection off Tigers' defender Callum Charles to beat Amagebt for a 3-2 lead.


Eight minutes later, skipper Danny Payne fed Read again. This he set up Josh Bronti with a fine through ball, the winger striking his second low past Amagebt into the corner, to clinch the win with his seventh goal in the last three games.


WGC: Leslie, Griffith (Foley 68), Boodhoo, McGrandles, Welsh, Payne, Long, Melford-Rowe, Bronti, Kersey (Read 68), Robins (Endacott 55).

Welwyn Garden City FC 4 - 2 London Tigers