WGC FC logo

Welwyn Garden City FC

Home of the "Citizens" - Established 1921

The BP Mitchell Stadium, Herns Lane, Welwyn Garden City, Herts, AL7 1TA

WELWYN GC faced the same opponents for the second time in a month, when they took on London Tigers.


The Tigers are the only team to take a point off Adam Fisher’s side, achieved in a grim, scrappy 0-0 draw at their shared ground at Northwood earlier in the month.


But this second meeting was a very different affair.


Only playing their second home league game of the campaign, the Citizens were on the front foot from the start and their first chance came after four minutes, when Brandon Carney cut in on his left foot and hit a great strike just over the bar.


Jon Clements and Charlie Joy both then had half chances to open the scoring, but tamely steered their efforts wide of the post.


With so much pressure being exerted on the Tigers goal and after four consecutive corners, the breakthrough finally came when a well rehearsed corner found skipper and man of the match Danny Payne, who peeled off his marker to head over the keeper from 10 yards, with 20 minutes gone.


The goal only buoyed up the home team even more and before half time the destination of the points could and should have been long decided.


Some fantastic one touch football put striker Clements in at a tight angle who hit a great strike across the keeper that look destined for the top corner but the visitors keeper Ramas, who was inspired in the last meeting, made a terrific one handed save, to keep it at 1-0.


From the resulting corner, centre-back Yasin Boodhoo had a strong header also diverted away by the keeper.


The second half started in the same fashion with the home team creating good chances to double the lead the best coming from another one on one, which Ramas smothered at Clements feet.


The striker soon atoned for his miss when he took a pass from stand-in right back Paul Marks on the half way line, turned and drove powerfully to the edge of the box, before sliding in winger Josh Bronti to smash it home under the keeper.


There followed a lull in the action until with 10 minutes left, a rare mistake from Marks allowed the visitors winger to set the ball back for the left back to curl an outstanding finish into the top corner past keeper May.


This could have meant a nervy last 10 minutes, but almost from the restart, a ball forward was misjudged by the Tigers’ defence which allowed the excellent Charlie Joy to bear in on goal and slot in his second goal in as many games to seal what was a well deserved three points and to make it 11 games unbeaten in all competitions for the Citizens.


Said manager Adam Fisher afterwards: " I was really pleased with the performance and more importantly the result, as we had a tricky time over at their ground three weeks ago.’’


“ We decided to change a few things today in tactics and personnel and especially first half it worked really well. The lads are fully aware that if we are going to be successful in all the competitions then there will be some squad rotation.


“ But we have a great squad and this has allowed us, since the disappointment of going out of the FA Cup at the first hurdle, to win 10 and draw one of our last 11 games which is terrific, but is only a start. ‘’


WGC: May, Marks, Boodhoo, Corran, Sexton, Spaul (Brettell 76), Payne, Rome (Long 61), Joy, Clements, Carney ( Bronti 42).

Welwyn Garden City 3 - 1 London Tigers