WGC FC logo

Welwyn Garden City FC

Home of the "Citizens" - Established 1921

The BP Mitchell Stadium, Herns Lane, Welwyn Garden City, Herts, AL7 1TA

TWO headers from their two central defenders earned WGC this much needed win after three successive defeats in a week that had shaken their impressive start to life back in the Spartan South Midlands League Premier to the core.


But Oxhey Jets, who came into this game in third bottom spot, the same position occupied by the previous Tuesday's conquerors St Margaretsbury, were certainly a match for Adam Fisher's side for two-thirds of this fixture and it was only in the latter stages that WGC clinched the victory.


In the end, Fisher and WGC's smallest attendance of the season so far - just 60 at Herns Lane - were grateful to the aerial prowess of Yasin Boodhoo and fit again John McGrandles (hamstring) for the points.


The opening half was fairly even contested, although, if anything, Oxhey were the more impressive, certainly belying their lowly position.

















Jamie Jackson, back between the WGC posts for the unavailable Grant Beckwith and injured Joe Croft (hand ), was called into early action, rushing quickly from goal to snatch the ball off Oxhey forward Eduardo's toes.


WGC's reply was a low cross from Josh Bronti that visiting full-back Speer had to clear behind his own post, without anyone on hand to take advantage.


Jackson remained the busier keeper and Eduardo stung the keeper's palms with a rasping drive as the Jets continued to impress, before the WGC keeper had to make another headlong rush from goal to deny Netzer, after a clever ball from Dowling had split the home defence.


WGC's best of the half was a mishit centre-cum-shot from full-back Jay Lovell that forced Jets' keeper Will Baker to flip over his own crossbar.


It continued to be the Watford visitors who looked likelier to score at the start of the second-half and WGC survived a penalty appeal against Jay Welsh when he appeared to handle a cross from the left, but referee Wynne ruled it accidental.


Nathan Dimmock hit the home side's best shot to this point, a 20 yard skimmer that brought Baker to a full length save, before Welsh burrowed deep into Oxhey territory before shooting just past the far post.

















Craig Arnott also brought a good stop from Baker before WGC had another major escape, Oxhey top scorer Luke Beardsworth bursting between two defenders to shoot past Jackson only to see his effort hit the post and bounce to safety.


That let-off proved to be a turning point. Two minutes later and with 23 minutes left, Lovell dropped a free-kick into the Oxhey area. It was cleared up into the air, where Boodhoo jumped highest and looped a fine header over Baker into the net.


For the first time in the game, WGC began to dominate and from another free-kick, this time taken by Jay Welsh, Oxhey's Baker was forced to claw away an effort destined for the top corner.


WGC needed a second goal to seal it and it came five minutes from time. From a right-wing corner, McGrandles came through a posse of players to meet it with a strong downward header that was ruled over the line, before Jason Caswell crashed a rebound back into the net to make sure.


There was still time for WGC to nearly make it three, substitute Ashley Kersey making a strong run along the by-line before cutting it back for fellow sub Juan Cifuentes to drive just past a post, moments from the end.


WGC: Jackson, Lovell, Boodhoo, McGrandles, Welsh, Dimmock, Smith, Arnott (Parkinson 63), Bronti (Cifuentes 82), Dance (Kersey 75), Caswell.

Welwyn Garden City FC 2 - 0 Oxhey Jets