WGC FC logo

Welwyn Garden City FC

Home of the "Citizens" - Established 1921

The BP Mitchell Stadium, Herns Lane, Welwyn Garden City, Herts, AL7 1TA

Evo-stik logo

WGC tasted Southern League defeat for the first time, when they were deservedly beaten by a powerful Peterborough Sports side in midweek.


The Turbines, as the home team are known, have been honing their skills in the Northern Premier League – where they finished 12th in Div 1 last season – for the past two seasons and quite simply, outmuscled WGC for victory, in this first away trip for Adam Fisher’s team.


The Citizens kept to their footballing principles throughout, but are clearly going to need more strength in the squad to make any impact in the Southern League Div 1 Central this season.


Brett O’Connor, who came into the side as one of two changes from Saturday’s highly notable win over Didcot, had a good effort saved by Sports keeper Lewis Moat in three minutes, the ex-Hertford winger slipping a couple of challenges before shooting at the keeper.


Peterborough Sports responded by having the ball in the net two minutes later, but their long-serving striker Avelino Viera was clearly offside.


WGC had their second good long-range effort of the game, when skipper for the night Ben Spaul, cut in from the left and struck a dipping effort that Moat did well to hold onto,


But it was the home side applying the pressure midway through the half and only a fine point-blank save from keeper Dan Green to keep out Mark Jones’ header kept the visitors on terms.


Then 10 minutes from the break, WGC had a real let-off. Jon Sexton miscued a clearance to Viera, who switched the ball to striker Jake Newman and from his cross, the dangerous Jones powered a strong header against the Citizens’ crossbar.


WGC had been under the cosh for the closing minutes of the first-half, but looked brighter at the start of the second.


Jon Clements got through in the early minutes of the half, only to be foiled by the combined efforts of Moat and several of his defenders.


Then on 59 minutes, WGC came within an ace of confirming their improvement by almost taking the lead, Jay Rolfe rising to an O’Connor cross from the right, to crash his header against the Sports crossbar, in similar fashion to Jones’ earlier effort for the home team.


But the brief revival was ended by the Turbines taking the lead a minute later. Griffiths’ long cross to the back post was headed back across goal for Josh McCammon to drive low past Dan Green in the centre of the goal.


WGC tried to raise their game, but suffered a second setback 11 minutes later.


The home side introduced Jordan Brown and the substitute showed tremendous pace to outstrip the WGC defence and shoot low for goal, the effort taking a huge deflection off Jon Sexton to beat Green for 2-0.


Manager Fisher rang the changes for the closing stages, but apart from one powerful run from Dan Bond two minutes from the end, the striker being stopped at the expense of a corner, WGC, in truth, didn’t look like closing the deficit.


WGC: Green, Hunt, Lovell, Corran, Sexton (Holmes 83), Rolfe (Bronti 69), Close, Spaul, O’Connor, Clements (Williams 77), Bond.

Peterborough Sports 2 - 0 Welwyn Garden City FC