WGC FC logo

Welwyn Garden City FC

Home of the "Citizens" - Established 1921

The BP Mitchell Stadium, Herns Lane, Welwyn Garden City, Herts, AL7 1TA

THIS emphatic victory put down a real marker in the promotion race in the SSML Div 1, as the Citizens claimed their first scalp among the other leading contenders, in front of their biggest League attendance so far this season.


There were 128 spectators to watch Adam Fisher's side comfortably beat the only side still in Div 1 that finished above them last season - Bedford FC agonisingly missing out on promotion on goal difference!


And while WGC racked up the goalscoring chances in a dominating first-half performance, their visitors racked up the bookings - having seven players cautioned by referee Walshe, until their player-manager Luigi Rocco was sent off for two yellow cards with half-an-hour to go.


But even when Bedford had a full compliment, it was WGC who were far the more impressive team, taking the lead in just seven minutes, when Joel Norris' back-header from a Sean Brettell free-kick brought a good save from Bedford keeper Aaron Bodger. He tipped the effort away but only to the oncoming Jack Dekanski, who headed in his third goal of the campaign.


It was just the start WGC wanted and they doubled their lead on 16 minutes, from another free-kick. Brettell was fouled and Norris stepped up to unleash a real rocket of an effort from 25 yards that flew in past Bodger off the crossbar.


Bedford began to lose their discipline and caution followed caution, as Norris almost made it three with a similiar effort 10 minutes from the break, but this time Bodger was able to turn it over.


Ten minutes after the restart, WGC effectively sealed the points with a bizarre own goal. Again their free-kick routine caused problems. Brettell's kick was met by Dekanski, Bodger turned the effort onto the bar, but as it dropped, the keeper could only fumble it into his own goal.


Bedford lost Rocco in their frustration and WGC eased off a little, although one fine move begun by skipper Liam Kenna and carried on by Daryl Smith produced an clear opening for Jason Caswell, but he pulled the chance wide.


Boss Fisher rang the changes towards the end and as the game entered stoppage time, Bedford netted a consolation, James Hilsden finishing off good work by substitute Russell Preston, but the points had long since been decided.


The only downside to the WGC performance was an injury to keeper Joe Croft, who damaged his shoulder. He was taken to hospital after the game to have the injury assessed.


WGC: Croft, Perrin, Kenna, Dekanski, Lovell, Cato, Cifentues (Stellon 79), Smith, Brettell (James 85), Norris, (Boodhoo 72), Caswell.

Welwyn Garden City FC 3 - 1 Bedford FC

PLGS Advert for Adsense