WGC FC logo

Welwyn Garden City FC

Home of the "Citizens" - Established 1921

The BP Mitchell Stadium, Herns Lane, Welwyn Garden City, Herts, AL7 1TA

WGC completed a hat-trick of wins over Watford's Sun Sports this season, to reach the semi-finals of the SSML's Dudley Latham Premier Cup.


Adam Fisher's team added to a 5-1 home win and the 3-1 away success at the same venue just a fortnight before, with another emphatic victory over now familiar opponents.


WGC now await the winners of the postponed quarter-final between London Tigers and Hadley to know their semi opponents - a tie that will again be away from Herns Lane.


Fisher rang the changes for this one, leaving Ashley Kersey and Danny Payne on the bench, where he also had Yasin Boodhoo and Juan Cifuentes available after injury and rested Carl Mensah from his squad. John McGrandles came back into the starting line-up.


It was a tight first-half, in which Josh Bronti had the first opening, but lifted his effort over.


A stronger Sun line-up than a fortnight before, responded with striker Liam Jame prodding wide, after the impressive Dominic David had opened up the WGC defence.


An off balance Jason Caswell put another WGC effort wide before the visitors hit the post, Craig Arnott collecting 20 yards out to strike a strong effort past returned Sun keeper Ross Hampton, only to see his effort hit the woodwork and be cleared.


Then on 17 minutes, WGC took first blood with a spectacular strike from Bronti, who switched passes with Dave Parkinson, took the return and hit an unstoppable effort beyond Hampton into the top corner for a fine, opening goal.


WGC's second eight minutes was a strange affair. Awarded a free-kick in their own half, defender Jay Lovell thumped his effort 50 yards into the goalmouth.


Keeper Hampton came for it, but got tangled up with his own defenders and Caswell, getting a hand to it as he fell, but unable to keep it out of his goal.


Despite Sun appeals that their keeper had been fouled, referee Scott could see nothing wrong and awarded the bizarre own goal.


But within minutes the Watford side had reduced arrears, WGC full-back Jay Welsh being unable to cut out Ashley Lewis' strong through ball to let Sun top scorer Karl Penny in behind him and the winger crashed his effort past Joe Croft.


WGC tried to restore the two goal advantage quickly and and Caswell played clear down the left by a Parkinson pass, raced through but was foiled by a good save by Hampton with his legs.


The visitors did go 3-1 up five minutes after the restart, when Parkinson did well to get behind the Sun defence and unselfishly square his pass across goal for Bronti to add his second, with a tap-in.


Keeper Croft maintained the lead with a fine save with his legs, as Penny cut inside the WGC defence and looked certain to add his second of the game and the WGC keeper did even better with a remarkable point-blank save from a Gary Wallace header from a corner, that he managed to push onto the crossbar, as Sun pressed strongly.


It needed a fourth goal to end the home side's mini revival and it duly came 13 minutes from time, Caswell cleverly taking down a long ball and cushioning it off to Parkinson, who blazed his shot home.


Now 4-1 ahead, WGC finished the game strongly in the ascendancy, Caswell switching passes with substitute Boodhoo, only to see his effort hacked off the line by defender Wallace and Parkinson scorning the chance of a personal second and the side's fifth, firing across the face of goal in the final minute.


WGC: Croft, Perrin, Lovell, McGrandles, Welsh, Price, Smith (Boodhoo 65), Arnott (Cifuentes 80), Bronti (Kersey 75), Caswell, Parkinson.

Sun Sports 1 - 4 Welwyn Garden City FC