WGC FC logo

Welwyn Garden City FC

Home of the "Citizens" - Established 1921

The BP Mitchell Stadium, Herns Lane, Welwyn Garden City, Herts, AL7 1TA

Evo-stik logo

A BLISTERING opening hour's display paved the way for this WGC victory - the Citizens' fourth successive win in all competitions.


Adam Fisher's side look to be back on track after a mini blip, following their opening of the season with a 10 match unbeaten run.


WGC have rarely played better than in the opening half here, where hosts Sun Sports were completely outplayed and the Herns Lane side had built up a 3-0 lead by the interval.


They got the boost of a opening goal in the first minute of the game. In WGC's first attack they were awarded a free-kick. Jay Welsh lofted it to the back post, where central defender John McGrandles headed back across goal and Yasin Boodhoo, up for the set piece, tucked it away neatly.


Jack Read, in for the unavailable Ashley Kersey upfront, looked very lively and it took a goal-saving block from home skipper Horwood on 11 minutes to deny WGC a second.


But that came fairly quickly. On 18 minutes, a fine, sweeping WGC move saw new boy Manny Melford-Rowe slip the ball out to Josh Bronti. Again, the cross to the back post did the damage, where Read headed across goal and this time, Luke Robins bundled it in from a couple of yards out.


Sun Sports could hardly get any possession and their frustration was underlined by a poor challenge from midfielder Walsh on Ben Long, that referee Neophytou felt warranted a yellow card, when many officials might have taken a sterner line.


Just before the half-hour WGC were three up. Long recovered to find Read with a good through ball and the striker took it down and volleyed an unstoppable effort over home keeper Evans for an outstanding third goal.


Bronti flashed an effort over from 30 yards and a powerful Boodhoo header forward put Read in with a golden chance of a second, but this time he miscued wide, as WGC finished the half as they had begun it - in total control.


The second 45 minutes began in similiar fashion. The impressive Melford-Rowe burst through two challenges to fire at Evans, who took two attempts to save the effort and then Read and Robins combined well in a move that saw Robins dive full length to head Read's cross inches past the post.


But the balance of the game changed somewhat on 67 minutes, when in really their first serious attack of the afternoon, Sun Sports reduced arrears, Kyle Johnson's through being drilled low past Olly Leslie in the WGC goal, by midfielder George Hudson.


Sun took heart from this and five minutes later the same pair combined, Johnson slipping Hobson in with a great chance of a second, but Leslie made a brave block to save the shot.


The keeper in trying to kick clear, completely miskicked and let home winger Adam Oraculic in and WGC new signing Kyle Thompson - recruited from National League Borehamwood's academy - was forced to bring him down on the edge of the area. Both players had to have lengthy treatment following the clash.


Oraculic was forced to leave the field, but Thompson continued. Manager Fisher rang the changes in the closing stages, giving outings to Danny Fitzgerald- his first game in six weeks - Sean Brettell and Joe Foley.


Leslie came to WGC's rescue again with a tip around save from Walsh's 20 yard effort to protect the two goal lead, five minutes from time.


WGC were forced to play stoppage time with 10 men, as new boy Thompson was helped off the field following another injury, manager Fisher having used all three of his substitutes.


WGC: Leslie, Thompson, Boodhoo, McGrandles, Welsh, Payne (Fitzgerald 70), Long, Melford-Rowe, Bronti (Foley 87), Read (Brettell 81), Robins.

Sun Sports 1 - 3 Welwyn Garden City FC