WGC FC logo

Welwyn Garden City FC

Home of the "Citizens" - Established 1921

The BP Mitchell Stadium, Herns Lane, Welwyn Garden City, Herts, AL7 1TA

THE weather was the winner here, as a combination of gale force winds and a rutted Herns Lane pitch made for a difficult afternoon and the first goalless draw the Citizens have been involved in this season, so far.


A share of the points was about right in a very even contest, both teams hitting a post with their best efforts of the afternoon, in 90 minutes when clear-cut chances were at a premium.


Both sides will be hoping for calmer conditions and a better game when they meet again this Saturday in the semi-final of this year's Herts Charity Shield, this time at Tring. The clash has been brought forward because both clubs' scheduled league opponents are still involved in the FA Vase.


This first meeting this season was short on action. Tring had the game's first and only real effort of the opening quarter, their leading scorer Sam Joliffe looping a header over Joe Croft and the bar, from full-back Mason's long cross.


WGC managed a Craig Arnott shot that was on target, until it was deflected around for a corner.


But there was a real let-off for WGC on 23 minutes, when Mason combined well with Tring's most dangerous player, striker Tyler Collins, who slipped around Carl Mensah and hit an effort past Croft,. only to see it strike a post and bounce out.


WGC's best in reply was another Arnott effort way over the bar from a clever back-heel from Ashley Kersey, while Kersey himself had the WGC's best opening of the half. Racing onto a Danny Payne through ball, he poked his effort past Tring keeper Matt Evans, only to see a heavy gust of wind blow it wide of the goal.


On the hour, WGC levelled matters up when they too hit the post. Again Payne's searching ball had Kersey racing through. He didn't connect fully with his effort, but it still beat keeper Evans and thumped against the post. The rebound fell to Josh Bronti, but he could only poke his shot straight at the keeper.


Only in the final 20 minutes, when manager Adam Fisher made a double change, replacing Arnott and an ineffectual Dave Parkinson with Caswell and Gunn, did WGC impose real authority on the game.


They were grateful to Croft for a fine save with his legs when Joliffe burst through, before Evans snatched a good cross from Caswell off the heads of Kersey and Gunn at the other end.


In the game's dying moments, a Jay Welsh free-kick was met by the head of Bronti, but he put his effort over, while Croft produced a second good save of the half, to foil Collins after he had outpaced Mensah to a through ball, in the game's last real attack.


WGC: Croft, Perrin, Mensah, Lovell, Welsh, Price, Payne, Arnott (Caswell 63), Bronti, Kersey, Parkinson (Gunn 63).









Welwyn Garden City FC 0 - 0 Tring Athletic