WGC FC logo

Welwyn Garden City FC

Home of the "Citizens" - Established 1921

The BP Mitchell Stadium, Herns Lane, Welwyn Garden City, Herts, AL7 1TA

WGC inflicted improved Winslow's first defeat of 2015 - and what a defeat it was!


The Citizens helped themselves to their highest league victory of the season, equalling their other win by an eight goal margin this season - a 9-1 success at Herts County League Whitwell in the Herts Senior Trophy.


Joel Norris stretched away as top scorer with his four goal haul, with 26 for the season and Marc Arnott helped himself to a hat-trick, as WGC opened up a nine point lead at the top of the table with also a game in hand over nearest challengers Bedford FC.


Yet in the opening 20 minutes of this game, there was no indication that WGC would wreak such havoc, particularly the four goal in 15 minute spell at the end of the first-half.


Winslow had the first serious chance of the game in four minutes, when Carl Costain tried and failed to play home striker Drew Mitten offside. Mitten ran on to cross over the face of goal and Winslow's Dale Butler fired an acceptable chance wildly over.


WGC were awarded a generous penalty on 10 minutes, referee Cresswell spotting Maamri's push on Daryl Smith. But Sean Brettell's rather languid left-foot effort was tipped away by home keeper Tom Weymes in good style.


In fact, it was a close fought encounter until the 22nd minute, when Norris burst into the box onto a Brettell throw-in and squared it across goal for Arnott to turn over the line at the second attempt, amid a goalmouth scramble.


That goal seemed to unshackle WGC's attacking instincts and Weymes made further good saves to tip away a fierce Norris effort and hold onto a flashing header from Smith.


Then on 32 minutes the lead was doubled. Arnott put a huge, high cross into the area, Weymes failed to punch clear and Norris looped a header over two defenders on the goalline for 2-0.


Five minutes later it was three. Brettell played Arnott in with a short corner, Winslow failed to close down and the WGC striker drove through a crowded area into the far corner.


Three minutes from the break, WGC scored the classic route-one goal. From Joe Croft's long clearing kick, Norris was set free and finished with a solid drive past Weymes.


In first-half stoppage time, Arnott provided the cross for his strike partner to complete his hat-trick, Norris, this time, netting a left-foot volley.


With the game over and WGC 5-0 up, the second-half was somewhat less of a spectacle.


Winslow to their credit, tightened up considerably and although Brettell, Norris again and Aaron Cato, all had acceptable chances to increase the margin, the half remained scoreless until the final seven minutes.


Just when it looked as though five would have to be enough, a mishit effort from Daryl Smith turned into the perfect pass for Norris to blaze home his personal fourth, into the top rigging.


Manager Adam Fisher rang the changes late in the game, including bringing on Yasin Boodhoo for Cato and it was Boodhoo's pass that set Arnott free to complete his hat-trick with three minutes remaining.


There was still time for Boodhoo to rise to a Norris cross and see a header blocked on the line.


There was still time to go one better, when Boodhoo escaped his markers on the far post to reach Sam Perrin's long free-kick, deep into added time and head home the eighth to complete a fine afternoon's work by the rampant WGC team.


WGC: Croft, Perrin, Kenna, Costain, Lovell, Cato (Boodhoo 60), Cifuentes (Jenner 75), Smith, Brettell (Caswell 66), Arnott (M), Norris.

Winslow United 0 - 8 Welwyn Garden City FC