WGC FC logo

Welwyn Garden City FC

Home of the "Citizens" - Established 1921

The BP Mitchell Stadium, Herns Lane, Welwyn Garden City, Herts, AL7 1TA

Evo-stik logo

WGC scrambled three more points towards the SSML Div 1 title, but overall this was an instantly forgettable game.


The Citizens scored two late on - one deep into five minutes stoppage time - to give them a somewhat flattering victory after 80 odd minutes of struggle against a Wodson Park side that defended manfully, but who hardly threatened the WGC goal.


But the Ware side's defensive solidity, guided by their skipper, former WGC assistant boss Pablo Ardiles in midfield, strongly suggested a second successive goalless draw for Adam Fisher's side.


Then with seven minutes remaining, WGC got a breakthrough with a goal as scruffy as the previous 82 minutes.


Fisher rang the changes in the second-half, sending on Mark Arnott, newcomer Mason Bush and even Daryl Smith, who was resting an ankle injury and it was ex-Spurs academy prospect Bush who played a part in the goal, flicking on a crossfield pass to Jason Caswell.


Caswell hit his shot straight at Wodson keeper Jake Palmer, who had defied WGC all afternoon, but this time he only half-saved the effort and allowed it to roll under his body and over the line for 1-0.


WGC's second five minutes into stoppage time that referee Hantea allowed, was a much better effort. Caswell, out on the left, neatly tricked Wodson full-back Bradley Niner and outpaced him to the by-line to pull over a fine cross and Joel Norris pulled away at the back post to bury a firm header into the other corner.


Norris had threatened in the first minute, when latching onto a high ball from Sam James, but it was Ardiles who got across to block it. Norris also did well to create space for a shot straight at keeper Palmer 10 minutes later, but after an initial flurry that was it for WGC.


Wodson missed their only acceptable chance of the entire games on 22 minutes when central defender Matt Taylor was left unattended from a corner, but headed wide with the goal at his mercy.


Moments before half-time, Sean Brettell hit a powerful effort just wide in the home side's first real threat in over half-an-hour.


It looked as if Mr Hantea had taken pity on WGC's plight five minutes after the restart, when he awarded them a rather generous penalty.


Aaron Cato raced onto a through ball and appeared merely to collide with bulkier keeper Palmer as he came out. Cato crumpled and the referee awarded the spot-kick, but, in keeping with the game, Norris hit his languid effort too close to Palmer, who sprawled to save.


Manager Fisher made his substitutions in the final half-hour, but it seemed odds-on that the game would finish scoreless, until Caswell got lucky with his goal to give WGC a victory that the performance scarcely deserved.


WGC; Croft, Perrin, Kenna, Boodhoo, Lovell (Arnott M 62), Cato (Bush 67), Cifuentes, James (Smith 80), Brettell, Caswell, Norris.

Welwyn Garden City FC 2 - 0 Wodson Park